We have also completed an exciting new whitepaper that we'll be releasing next month, just in time for the SPE Thermoforming Conference in Schaumburg (Chicago), IL. The paper is the result of many conversations with partners and customers around the world. Because there are still so many variables involved in thermoforming, and because the plug is such a critical component of forming the best possible part, we have tried to spell out 5 key steps that lead to great plugs every time.
The full paper will be released early next month, but in the meantime, here is a sneak peek at the actual steps:
1. Select the best material for your project (in other words, don't just use the material from the last job)
2. Consider plug design and plug material together (this relationship is a two-way street)
3. Make sure everyone understands the machining guidelines (CNC operators AND tooling designers - share the wealth!)
4. Modify the surface of a machined plug (covered in our last blogpost but now with more detail)
5. Mount the plug securely (now you've made a great plug, make sure it works in the machine!)